Simple Pasta Carbonara
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound pancetta, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3-4 whole eggs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound Racconto spaghetti pasta
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil (1 Tbsp salt for every 2 quarts of water.)
- While the water is coming to a boil, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook slowly until crisp.
- Add in chopped garlic and cook another minute, then turn off the heat and put the pancetta and garlic into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and mix in about half of the cheese. Once the water has reached a rolling boil, add the dry pasta, and cook, uncovered, at a rolling boil. Cook until al dente. Move it quickly to the bowl with the bacon and garlic. Reserve some of the pasta water. (It’s the heat of the pasta that will heat the eggs sufficiently to create a creamy sauce.)
- Toss everything to combine, allowing the pasta to cool just enough so that it doesn’t make the eggs curdle when you mix them in.
- Add the beaten eggs with cheese and toss quickly to combine once more. Add salt to taste. Add some pasta water back to the pasta to keep it from drying out.
- Serve with some fresh cracked black pepper and loads of parmesan!
Total Prep Time: 12 minutes
Total Cook Time: 20 minutes